Home Search Tips for First-time Homebuyers
The start of the search for your first home is a very exciting time! You have likely been shopping around online, and now you are feeling ready to start seeing homes. You may have even chosen your target neighborhoods or areas of town and determined a budget. But before you begin the hunt, there is some key information you may want to consider.
Follow my home-search tips below to make finding your future home a seamless experience:
- Talk with me – Your real estate agent should be someone with whom you are comfortable, who understands your needs, and is familiar with the neighborhood you are interested in.
- Become pre-approved – Becoming pre-approved for a mortgage is a critical step in making sure you are prepared to purchase a home. This should be down before the home-search process begins so you are aware of how much home you can afford. This will also ensure that sellers know you are serious about home offers.
- Make a list of priorities – Make a list of things that are absolutely necessary for your first home. Additionally, make a list of things you would like to have but that may not be a top priority. This will allow you to stay organized and help rule out homes as you search. Once you have created this list, discuss it with me so I will know what is important to you.
- Search online – While I am helping you find your future home, I will focus on your top priorities and may pass up something that could interest you. Be sure to do some online home searching of your own to cover all bases. If you find something you like, send it to me and I can schedule a showing.
- Prepare to make an offer – In a competitive real estate market, realizing you’ve found your dream home often means you need to make an offer quickly. Consult with me, your Realtor on what a fair offer may be. Make sure to take the time to compare the price, quality, and features of other homes in the area that you are considering. Additionally, writing a personal offer letter to the seller can help your bid stand out in a multiple-offer situation.
Purchasing your first home is a major milestone. I am here to answer any questions you may have about the process. Call me at your earliest convenience and we will work together to make your homeownership dreams a reality!